The Lake Region Public Library is now hiring an Assistant Library Director. Full description found below.
Applications accepted now through Friday, January 6 at 4 pm. Interested candidates should email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Maddie Cummings, Library Director, at email@example.com.
Assistant Library Director Job Description
City of Devils Lake
Job Title: Assistant Library Director Department: Public Library
Reports to: Library Director FLSA Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
SCOPE OF THE POSITION
The Assistant Library Director assists the Library Director in the management, supervision, and administration of the Lake Region Public Library to provide maximum services to library patrons in accordance with library policy. The Assistant Director supervises the operation of the Technical Services and Circulation Departments and assists with staff training. The Assistant Director will coordinate special projects, as requested. The City of Devils Lake is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- A master’s degree in Library Sciences is preferred. Master’s or bachelor’s degree or years of experience in a related or appropriate field will also be considered.
- Some professional experience in public library technical services and/or electronic services preferred.
- Experience in management or supervisory experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid drivers’ license, with a satisfactory driving record, or ability to obtain one.
- Review, purchase, and access items into catalog (including assigning barcodes, RFID tags, creating bibliographic & holding records, responding to patron requests and trends)
- Serve as the main source of procuring and deaccessioning materials
- Oversee Library Director’s duties when Director is out of the library
- Assist patrons with general and special requests & projects, such as operation of microfilm, genealogy questions, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Must have knowledge in the following areas:
- Competence in current library technologies
- Selection and organization of library materials
- Reference and information services
Must demonstrate the following skills:
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills
- Ability to accurately account cash intake and make change
- Computer skills: familiar with Microsoft Office Suite, email, and social media
- The ability to learn the Lake Region Public Library’s integrated library system (Atriuum)
- Effective public relations and public speaking skills
- Time management skills
Must demonstrate the following attributes:
- Able to uphold and maintain standards of conduct
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Excellent command of the English language
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to:
- Endure extended periods of standing, walking, sitting, and talking/hearing. Duties include occasional climbing or balancing (ladders), pushing/pulling items, lifting/carrying up to 40 lbs, typing, reaching, stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- Must have transport to work-related meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Duties are performed in an office environment. Hazards are minor and controllable, but may include exposure to human error and angry/hostile people. Noise level is low to moderate.
This description is not intended as a complete list of duties, skills, and responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. It is intended as a reasonable outline of principal job elements essential to meeting the performance standards of this position.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Maddie Cummings, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.